There are basically two types of manual call points which are related to the method of operation.
- Type A: direct operation (single action).
- Type B: indirect operation (double action).
Both types require the breaking or the visible displacement by change of position of a frangible element forming part of the front face.
Guidance on the selection, siting and speed of response should be sought from the applicable installation rule or code of practice (e.g. BS 5839-1). For example BS 5839-1 recommends only type A with a speed of evacuation signal within 3 seconds. Other codes of practice, may require a type B installation.
This section lists manual call points approved for use in fire detection and fire alarm systems in buildings.
LPCB offers certification of Manual call points to:
- EN 54-11: 2001 Manual call points
- EN 54-11: 2001 + A1: 2005 Manual call points
- EN 54-25: 2008 Components using radio links
- ISO 7240-11: 2005 Manual call points
The initial approval and continued approval processes for manual call points are outlined in scheme document SD041.